Wednesday, October 10, 2012

20 Men to Dig a Hole

Hong Kong often surprises me that in many ways it is a modern, forward-looking city, but perhaps in even more ways it is crippled by bureaucracy and inefficiencies. There is a process for everything, a long elaborate process in many cases that involves filling in duplicate paperwork and stamps.  Take for example buying some cosmetics. Because I wanted the 'foreigners' discount (normal discount, not claiming tax back) I had to appear at three different desks to pay, sign four pieces of paper and finally go back to collect the goods.  No guessing this causes frustration for this just-get-it-done kinda person.

Although I have to say at times it does remind me of South Africa. For example today while heading  to the office in Kowloon I came across a group of 20 men digging in the same street with supervisors watching.  Though unlike South Africa, they all appeared to all be doing something, except the supervisors of course.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, I'm curious to know what you think too!